Always wear safety equipment. Don't breath or touch this stuff. Biodiesel is nontoxic after you've washed the methanol and glycerine/lye out, not before.
For the reference solution:
- add 1000ml distilled water
- add 1 gram NaOH or KOH
- add 10 ml isopropyl alcohol
- add 4 drops phenolphthalein indicator solution
- "blank" the jar with a few drops -OH reference solution - swirl and add until the purple stays
- add 1 ml oil (be exact)
- measure 10 ml -OH reference solution - swirl and add until the purple stays.
- note how many ml -OH reference solution you used.
For the test batch:
- warm your oil to 135 degrees F. (methanol boils at 148F - don't overheat!)
- add 220ml methanol to methanol/catalyst jar
- add the catalyst - 5 grams NaOH or 8 grams KOH plus the stripping grams from the titration - to the methanol.
- swirl the methanol/catalyst mixture until it dissolves.
- add 1000ml warm oil to a 2 liter soda bottle.
- add methanol/catalyst solution to the soda bottle.
- shake for one minute, then shake one minute every 15 minutes for an hour.